Sunday, May 18, 2008

William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops


The Disintegration Loops is a series of albums that Basinski constructed from a number of tapes he had made twenty years prior. All the tracks are essentially ten to twenty minute loops of keyboard chords – all extremely ambient. The detail that makes these unique is the fact that as Basinski was re-recording these tapes that he had found again, they started to literally disintegrate, causing each tape to warp and crackle, changing the sound completely. The result is an eerie soundtrack to decadence.

In order to describe the auditory aesthetics of The Disintegration Loops, one must think of atmospheres. When I hear each album, I feel like I’m traveling, slowly, from earth up to space. Each track feels like different pressures upon my sinuses – endlessly looping. I also feel like I’m being showered by soft neon lights. As I near the end of each atmosphere, the air starts to change – it starts to become harder to breath. This is how each track sounds as the tapes begin to fall apart – like they are struggling to breathe, gasping for air until they finally fade into oblivion.

ouch!

No comments: