Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Damn! - or Why T. REX Rocks So Hard

In my perfect utopian opinion of the world, I find that everyone has, at the very least, a song/album/artist that moves him/her in a way that is undeniable, uninstinctive, unconscious, and unlike anything else. For me, hands down, I have got to say this cosmic force comes in the visage of T REX - one of the most underrated bands from the late 60's through the 70's. Fronted by the genius musical wizard Marc Bolan, and in later inclinations (during the peak of their greatness), the odd yet perfect addition of bongo-player Mickey Finn, T REX is an example of a band whose "maturity" actually yielded successful results. Bolan has also been deemed the father of "glam-rock" (however you'd like to take that label), leading the way for other "glam" rockers as the New York Dolls, or this one guy a couple people know as David Bowie.

So why do I think T REX rocks so hard? Well it's hard to define Rock and Roll especially these days. But, I think that T REX is as close a definition as I can imagine. Go out and BUY Electric Warrior and listen to it on repeat FOREVER. Its songs are what "rock and roll" should be - simple, jamming, licking guitar phonics, throbbing, catchy rhythm - just ridiculously powerful for its apparent economy.


No comments: