Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sweeney Todd - Burton's downfall?


I admittedly have a lot of respect for Tim Burton. I feel that he has offered a new and unique aesthetic to the “film industry”, and film history for that matter – a detail I tend to levitate toward when it comes to FILMMAKERS or more specifically, DIRECTORS. Tim Burton has directed what would read as an introduction to modern American cinema, as well as Johnny Depp’s resume. Just to round out my feelings of deep respect for Tim Burton, I have to mention that his first “full-length” feature was a little film that insiders have come to know as PEE WEE’S BIG ADVENTURE – a big adventure indeed. This is like Biggie’s READY TO DIE, or for those of you who aren’t into good music, (something else that was an incredibly accomplished “first” work that I can't think of at the moment). This schoolgirl gushing is what I’d like to think is my inspiration in knowing that a Tim Burton film would yield genius results. A little film called Sweeney Todd, which I have recently had the opportunity to sit through, sadly has made me question such pretenses.

Musicals...hmmm.

That's really all I've got to say about the particular genre - I really don't understand why they still exist. If I wanted to be sang a story, I'd go listen to Trapped In The Closet again like any other god-fearing American. My personal bias aside, I have to admit that I was willing to dismiss the fact that Todd was a musical, solely due to my respect (and expectations) of Tim Burton. On that note, I was also willing to disregard any and all product endorsement spawned from the movie, which meant averting my eyes away from Hot Topic every time I went to the mall. So when I approached the film, I believed that the Burton charm would shine through and deliver at least what I thought would be a new offering to the "musical genre."

Tragically, it seems that Tim Burton has seen too many Nightmare Before Christmas t-shirts, and like the computer from Pi, he became aware of his own (theatrical) being. Sweeney Todd is a reflection of this once-profound director's modern self-awareness, or awareness of how everyone would expect Tim Burton to make a movie. We are presented with an ultra-gothic, ultra-campy version of Victorian England - everything in a sopping wet grey, even Johnny Depp's melancholic cheekbones. Let me ruin it for you - Johnny Depp is the killer. Oh, sorry. He plays the role of Sweeney Todd - the barber who has redefined himself after years wasting away in prison. Todd used to have a lovely Victorian marriage, with wifey and little baby bugger in tow. That is until that guy who plays Trent Reznor in those Harry Potter movies came along and, well, threw him in jail, destroying what was once his entire life - his family. At that point, Todd is pissed, and he wants vengeance - so he sings about it for two hours.

Really, this was all just TOO MUCH for me...or should I say too little? You see, the best thing about Tim Burton's work is that he creates these alternate universes in which reality has a role, but its often just as an extra wandering in the background. Watching films like Edward Scissorhands, Batman, Beetlejuice, you are brought into this world, that seems to be normal, then something comes to pervert our perception. It's like being drunk - everything is skewed and eventually it becomes dizzying. Sweeney Todd lacks this important Burton-view, and replaces it with gothic masturbation fodder. Maybe that is why it won Best Art Direction at the Oscars - it had a strong and consistent aesthetic. Unfortunately, the aesthetic alone is not something that could keep my attention on this movie for two hours. I can't believe I watched the whole thing (cue the alka-seltzer fizzle).

I also feel I must mention that Danny Elfman was, for whatever reason, NOT in charge of scoring this - A TIM BURTON MUSICAL. Good idea.

No comments: