Tuesday, January 29, 2008

coexistent

I happened upon a piece of net.art titled “coexistent” from the (presumably) British-based site www.shiftspace.org.uk, which is essentially a small group of works that appear to be variations of the same source material. In this case, the audience (me) is presented with a group of icons that are to be clicked to reveal a DREDGING, low-quality video snippet of what appears to be two women doing some sort of interpretive dance – in slow motion. I really disliked this piece, as the source material was not anything that could hold my attention long enough to care. The clips were just SLOW and BORING. I don’t hate it so much as I don’t see much relevance. If I wanted to go see people perform some random group hippie movement I’d probably go to a rave or something, and not online where I can enjoy squinting at it in slow motion. I have to note that the music is good in that it goes with the slow and organic nature of the dancing, and also I enjoy droney, down-sampled music kind of like this, so at least its got that going for it.

No comments: